Preparation: 30 min.
Cooking time: 45 min.
Resting time: 10 min.
Here is another approach to a simple meat lasagna recipe that can be very easy to make and ready in less than one hour and half, once you are used to it. A nice tomato sauce meat lasagna recipe for any night with the family or it can even be part of a fancy dinner with someone special...
* 1 lb. Mild Italian sausage
* 1/2 lb. ground beef
* 1 cup chopped onions
* 2 cloves garlic
* 1 can (19 oz) diced tomatoes
* 1 can (7 1/2 oz.) of your favorite tomato sauce, homemade or from the store
* 1 5.5 oz. can tomato paste
* 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
* 1 and 1/2 teaspoon Italian spices seasoning
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon dried basil
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 1/2 lb. lasagna noodles or more as needed
* 1 and 1/2 lb. cottage cheese
* one egg
* 1 package fresh spinach
* 1 lb. mozzarella cheese
* Parmesan cheese to taste, grated
1) Wash carefully the spinach and cut their stems off. Cook the spinach in boiling water, just a few seconds. Ladle out the spinach and leave in a sieve for 10 minutes; now cook the pasta in the boiling water for 7 minutes. Gently mix the spinach with the cottage cheese and the egg using a food processor until smooth. Reserve.
2) In a skillet, brown the Italian sausage, ground beef, chopped onion and minced garlic, removing the excess fat, if any.
3) Stir in the tomatoes and spices: diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, parsley and seasonings and simmer 30 minutes, to reduce about by half the resulting tomato sauce.
Preheat the oven to 300 ˚F. Your ingredients are ready so let's start putting the lasagna together.
4) In a deep lasagna baking dish, spread a thin layer of meat sauce. Arrange half of the cooked and drained pasta, half the spinach/cottage cheese mixture, half the mozzarella and half the sauce. Repeat this step for one more layer of lasagna and top with Parmesan.
5) Bake at 350 °F 40 to 45 minutes.
Let stand 10 minutes before cutting and serving this Two Meats Lasagna!